Monday, March 3, 2014

RE: True or FALSE? - THE WHITE SHARK KAYAK STORY

So who here likes sharks?
I for one love sharks! Why? My father once took me to the cinema and one of the very first few "horror" shows was Jaws!
I can still remember sitting next to his big size muslim brother and when the shark appeared on screen, he shouted "Jerung!" ..ok...it was more like "Jeeerrrrruuunnnnnnnnnnggggggggggggggggggg!!!"
I don't know what startled me more, the shark or the scream!
But I cant laugh too much about that myself, as I too was shivering and squirming every time the great white shark (super huge and gigantic) tried to take a bite of those people of the boat.

So why talk about sharks?

I guess the memory was reignited when i read this shark article online.

Fake OR not?
Is this a myth? urban legend? or whipped up by some master Photoshop wizard in an underground base?
I never could tell or know until I read this...
and I was really amazed at the length and efforts that some people really put in because of their passion to capture the moments that creates history.
Truly, this one picture tells a thousand, no actually a million words...it sings a song!
Looking at it strikes a chord of fear, but it is quickly dampened by the feeling of amazement and wonder of nature..

I really wound not know what to do or react if I was there at that moment. I would probably just "freeze" or be "stunted" (as DoTa players would term it).

Anyway, here it is for your reference...

So the next time you go kayaking.... (to be continued below)

-----
THOMAS P. PESCHAK
OCEAN REPORTAGE / CONSERVATION PHOTOGRAPHY

THE WHITE SHARK KAYAK STORY
great, white, shark, malaysia, penang, bbc
When this photograph was first published in Africa Geographic, BBC Wildlife and later in Paris Match and the Daily Mail (London) it resulted in a flurry of e-mails, phone calls and letters from around the world asking if the image was a fake. The image became the most talked about of shark photograph ever.
The photograph is real, no photoshop, no digital manipulation, no nothing, in fact it was shot on slide film Fuji Provia 100 using a Nikon F5 Camera and 17-35 mm lens. For those conspiracy fans who still doubt its authenticity please read how I took the photograph.

"To capture this image I tied myself to the tower of the research boat Lamnidae and leaned into the void, precariously hanging over the ocean while waiting patiently for a white shark to come along. I wanted to shot a photograph that would tell the story of our research efforts to track white sharks using kayaks. When the first shark of the day came across our sea kayak it dove to the seabed and inspected it from below. I quickly trained my camera on the dark shadow which slowly transformed from diffuse shape into the sleek outline of a large great white. When the shark’s dorsal fin broke the surface I thought I had the shot, but hesitated a fraction of a second and was rewarded with marine biologist Trey Snow in the kayak turning around to look behind him. I pressed the shutter and the rest was history. Throughout the day I shot many more images, most showing the kayak following the shark, but all lacked the power of that first image of the great white tracking the kayak. "
Thomas Peschak
 
Kayaking with Great White Sharks
whiteshark--kayak02.jpg

In 2003 my friend and white shark biologist Michael Scholl discovered large numbers of great white sharks in extremely shallow water near the southernmost tip of South Africa. We initiated a research project but all of our initial attempts were thwarted because the sharks were repelled or attracted to the boats engine’s electrical fields, disrupting their natural behaviour. 

I have been sea kayaking for quite a number of years, frequently using it as a photographic platform and could not think of a better, less unobtrusive vessel from which to track white sharks from. Granted the first few attempts were a little nerve-wracking, even though we had observed the sharks reaction to an empty kayak numerous times. It is hard to describe what goes through ones mind when sitting in a yellow plastic sea kayak and a 4.5 m + great white shark is heading your way. 

White sharks, despite their bad reputation are much more cautious and inquisitive in nature than aggressive and unpredictable. At no time did any shark show any agression towards our little yum yum yellow craft.

We believe that white sharks come inshore in such great numbers to socially interact with others of their species, perhaps even to mate or give birth to their young. We have observed sharks following behind or swimming tight circles around one another. To observe and document great white sharks mating or giving birth is the holy grail of shark research and photography, but it is also a extremely difficult and perhaps an even almost impossible task. 

For a more detailed account of the research and to see more images please refer to the following book: South Africa’s Great White Shark, by Thomas P. Peschak and Michael C. Scholl, published by Struik in 2006. It is available from all good bookshops and online book merchants. 
---

so the next time you go kayaking in MALAYSIA..especially Penang...dont worry!
It would probably be a plastic bottle of coca-cola or a plastic bag behind you (most probably thrown by some ruthless inconsiderate person).
Why would I say that? After a few experiences of kayaking in Penang waters, this is very common...
and also a steam of dead jelly fish too...
but i heard somewhere at Batu Ferringi, there are sightings of dolphins !!! Yes!
I must try kayaking there or even taking the boat out soon! 

If anyone has similar experiences, please feel free to share! You have a listening ear here :)

source

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please comment here =)